difference between continue and return

difference between continue and return

Postby joppiesaus » 29 Aug 2013, 09:43

Hi, I have a question:
You can use return to simply abort your command, but can you also use continue?
For example:
Code: Select all
if (p == null)
{
   //return or continue?
}

I know, if you do continue in a for loop, the for loop will be executed the next time. example:
for (int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
   if (i == 0)
      continue; //only 0 will not be printed on the console. If you use break instead of continue, the for loop will be cancelled instead.
   Console.Write(i);
}
joppiesaus

Location: in a obsedian house, with glass in it so i can see the lava!

Re: difference between continue and return

Postby qpqpqp123 » 04 Sep 2013, 23:03

you can do on
if (p == null)
{
   //return or continue?
}

what you want
qpqpqp123

Postby dzienny » 25 Sep 2013, 11:13

From C# Language Specification:
The continue statement starts a new iteration of the nearest enclosing while, do, for, or foreach statement.
The target of a continue statement is the end point of the embedded statement of the nearest enclosing while, do, for, or foreach statement. If a continue statement is not enclosed by a while, do, for, or foreach statement, a compile-time error occurs.
When multiple while, do, for, or foreach statements are nested within each other, a continue statement applies only to the innermost statement. To transfer control across multiple nesting levels, a goto statement must be used.
dzienny
Administrator

Postby joppiesaus » 26 Sep 2013, 19:07

dzienny wrote:From C# Language Specification:
The continue statement starts a new iteration of the nearest enclosing while, do, for, or foreach statement.
The target of a continue statement is the end point of the embedded statement of the nearest enclosing while, do, for, or foreach statement. If a continue statement is not enclosed by a while, do, for, or foreach statement, a compile-time error occurs.
When multiple while, do, for, or foreach statements are nested within each other, a continue statement applies only to the innermost statement. To transfer control across multiple nesting levels, a goto statement must be used.

Wow! Thanks! :)
joppiesaus

Location: in a obsedian house, with glass in it so i can see the lava!

Return to Help in Coding