Blockmension - new client

Blockmension - new client

Postby dzienny » 03 Aug 2014, 23:41

I've been working on a new game client for MCDzienny and other ClassiCube compliant servers. Its name is Blockmension and it's based on the ClassiCube client. I made it to be able to introduce new features and fix some of the current ClassiCube problems. It's much easier for me, when I control the life-cycle of the application. Some changes to ClassiCube are waiting for weeks to get released, and in general the pace of ClassiCube development has been very very slow recently.

In the attachment is the newest pre-release version of the Blockmension. It's almost ready for a proper release and you are welcome to test it.

If you have any suggestions, I would gladly hear them. Mind that I probably won't introduce them before the first release. I just want to finish all the required elements on my checklist to release the client, and then I will work on improving it gradually.

If you notice any bugs, or maybe you already noticed some ClassiCube bugs that should be taken care of, please report them here.

Download: Blockmension 0.5 Windows
Download: Blockmension 0.5 Linux

What's new

• fixed opengl problem for Linux users,
  • fixed crashing when on glass.
  • you can scroll chat with a mouse scroll or the page up and page down keys,
  • now there's a sound for placing blocks,
  • ice movement is further improved.

• support for keyboard shortcuts (if you own a server go to MCDzienny->Plugins->Keyboard Shortcuts and add a shortcuts for commands, you can add for example Ctrl+C for /copy, etc.),
  • ice movement is more smooth, also you can fall from an ice block,
  • chat box and input box have constant width,
  • direct port connection to a local server (for server owners).
dzienny
Administrator

Re: Blockmension - new client

Postby blade1018 » 04 Aug 2014, 04:14

When I saw this go up, I was very excited! Because who doesn't love new clients, but sadly, I believe I have found a bug. I was able to unzip the zip file and get to the jar file and all. I was able to get the client up and able to log in. But when I went to join a server, it would go like it was joining it. But, it doesn't join. It's just like it exited out the tab. I have tried re-running the launcher multiple times but it doesn't work. Just in case, my os is Ubuntu Linux 12.04.
Please make the dumb people go away.
blade1018

Postby dzienny » 04 Aug 2014, 09:52

I've just added the download link for the Linux version. The client required native libraries for Linux. In the future, it will detect the running OS and download the needed libraries automatically.
dzienny
Administrator

Postby dzienny » 04 Aug 2014, 15:31

A new version is available for download and testing.
dzienny
Administrator

Postby blade1018 » 04 Aug 2014, 18:23

Once again, downloaded the client. I will continue to post feed back as needed, and now it is needed. Same thing as last time. It will open the client, Blockmension.jar, but when I go to join a server, it doesn't load.
blade1018

Postby dzienny » 04 Aug 2014, 18:33

blade1018 wrote:Once again, downloaded the client. I will continue to post feed back as needed, and now it is needed. Same thing as last time. It will open the client, Blockmension.jar, but when I go to join a server, it doesn't load.

Can you be more specific, did the resources get downloaded? Was the map loading progress bar displayed? Also, what's the content of client.log (it's generated in the same folder)?
dzienny
Administrator

Postby blade1018 » 04 Aug 2014, 19:45

Here's what happens. I download the client, then unzip the BlockmensionClient_0.4_Linux.zip, then I unzip the Blockmension.zip, then the libs and natives folder open, wide open in the downloads folder, along with the Blockmension.jar. Now stuff must not download correctly, because I have no client.log file. So, I don't know. I can get the client up to the login screen. I can get to the server screen, but when I go to join a server, I click on it, and click the play button, but then nothing happens, I don't know what's happening, but I really want to try out this client! :D Once again, my O.S. is Ubuntu Linux 12.04, and I have the Unity Desktop (If this matters)
blade1018

Postby dzienny » 04 Aug 2014, 19:53

blade1018 wrote:I click on it, and click the play button, but then nothing happens, I don't know what's happening, but I really want to try out this client! :D Once again, my O.S. is Ubuntu Linux 12.04, and I have the Unity Desktop (If this matters)

So nothing opens up? It's very weird. I have had problems with the client on Linux Mint 16, but I've just made some fixes and now it works there. However, even when it was broken it was able to start the proper client and used to crash at loading screen. I will release a fixed version in just a minute. Still, you may have a different problem. How do you start the client? Do you use "java -jar Blockmension.jar" command?
dzienny
Administrator

Postby blade1018 » 04 Aug 2014, 20:23

No, I right click the .jar file and go to properties and then allow it as executing file. Then I open it with open jdk java 7
blade1018

Postby blade1018 » 04 Aug 2014, 20:26

I tried opening it in terminal with java -jar, it opened. Runs fine and I like it! Any chance you could make it work with out terminal though?
blade1018

Next

Return to General Chat