How to make your ip adress static(no programs required)

How to make your ip adress static(no programs required)

Postby joppiesaus » 05 Aug 2013, 09:00

Hello!

NOTE: This is for Windows only.

I have a simple solution for how to make your ip adress static.
First, go to CMD (Windowsflag key + R, cmd, run).
type in: ipconfig /all

Store the following things in a text file(So you can remember them)
DNS server
IPv4 adress
Standardgateaway
Subnetmask(default 255.255.255.0)

Then, go to controlpanel --> networkcenter --> adapter settings(in the left menu) --> right click your LAN or WLAN controller and click Properties
You will get this screen(in your language):
Knipsel.PNG
The screen what you will get.
Knipsel.PNG (33.38 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Right click the IPv4 Protocol and click properties(marked)

Then you will get this screen:
Knipsel1.PNG
Enter your DNS server, IPv4, Standardgateaway, and your subnetmask.
Knipsel1.PNG (36.87 KiB) Viewed 3259 times

Enter all your stuff(DO NOT type it over from me, it is computer and router specific.).

Press ok and quit everything.
If your internet is broken now, you did something wrong. Just go back to the screen of the IPv4 protocol, and choose "automaticly choose ip"(the upper radiobutton). That should fix it.

======================================================================================================

HelloWorldCool's Alternative Way:

1). If you would like to manually(without downloaded software) use this guide: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/ho ... windows-7/
2). If you would like to use a program go here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=936
joppiesaus

Location: in a obsedian house, with glass in it so i can see the lava!

Re: How to make your ip adress static(no programs required)

Postby HelloWorldCool » 05 Aug 2013, 23:06

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=936
same stuff(and program). but thanks for doing in new lang :)
Download fCraft maps! - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3012!

Note: The Developer(s) of MCDzienny have resigned and the software is no longer supported.
Errors are bound to occur and Mojang has not attempted to resolve them.
HelloWorldCool

Postby joppiesaus » 06 Aug 2013, 10:45

HelloWorldCool wrote:http://mcdzienny.cba.pl/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=936

Do you mean with lang language?
Also, it is not the same program. This is built-in in Windows.
joppiesaus

Location: in a obsedian house, with glass in it so i can see the lava!

Postby Vvfj » 03 Sep 2013, 11:46

controlpanel --> networkcenter --> adapter settings(in the left menu) --> right click your LAN or WLAN controller and click Properties
some1 tell me that in spanish pls... my computer is spanish.
or...
tell me how to change my computers language...
Owner of Epicraft
Vvfj

Postby Vvfj » 03 Sep 2013, 14:06

Vvfj wrote:
controlpanel --> networkcenter --> adapter settings(in the left menu) --> right click your LAN or WLAN controller and click Properties
some1 tell me that in spanish pls... my computer is spanish.
or...
tell me how to change my computers language...

EDIT: thx it Works :D
Owner of Epicraft
Vvfj

Postby HelloWorldCool » 29 Sep 2013, 16:33

joppiesaus wrote:
HelloWorldCool wrote:http://mcdzienny.cba.pl/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=936

Do you mean with lang language?
Also, it is not the same program. This is built-in in Windows.

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to you for a long time, but in my video I had a program & I included a link(tutorial) to do it manually using the windows built-in program you described here. I'll add the link to the tutorial as an alternative way.

ON YOUTUBE description:
This software can be downloaded here: http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-static-ip
The software uses this type of format: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/ho ... windows-7/
Download fCraft maps! - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3012!

Note: The Developer(s) of MCDzienny have resigned and the software is no longer supported.
Errors are bound to occur and Mojang has not attempted to resolve them.
HelloWorldCool

Postby ShockDiamond » 06 Apr 2015, 18:04

When your ISP's DHCP servers give you an IP address, it's leasing it to you, usually 24-hours to 5-days, depending on the provider. If you set your adapter settings to use an IP address, it does not make it static. All its doing is forcing the adapter to use an IP address your ISP's DHCP servers have already leased to you. If you lose that lease, it will let you use the IP address until the user in their system who it's leased to comes online - then it will boot you off and assign the IP address to them.

Don't be fooled by this because it works when you try it. It doesn't mean anything except that the servers already leased the IP to you so it's letting you use it. If anything it will create a less stable situation where you will eventually lose the lease and then the IP address you're using for your MC server will no longer operate while people are either connected or trying to connect.

The best way to keep an IP address that is not static or reserved by your ISP is to not lose to the lease. You can do this in different ways, but first you will IPCONFIG /ALL and determine the Lease Obtained.

For example, mine currently is leased from my router: Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 5, 2015 6:06:50 PM

Once you have YOUR least obtained time, you look at the line Lease Expires.

For example, mine is: Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, April 8, 2015 6:06:58 PM

You can see the difference in timeframes. I have configured my router to provide a lease for 48-hours before releasing the IP address assigned back into the IP pool. The reason for this is, I have many computer systems in the home at any given time for repair and thus want those machines to keep the IP address they were assigned while I am working on them, but later it does not matter, so it can release the IP. This is for my local network, not the ISP. However, if you're using a router, just ensure it's always connected and operational and it should be able to keep your IP lease virtually forever.

If I look at my router, which is connected to the service provider, it tells me:

Lease time
1 days
Lease expires
18 hours 58 minutes 31 seconds

It does the work for me - it already sorts out that I have an IP lease for 24-hours (1-day) and expires in 19 hours basically. If you are directly connected to your Internet, you will use the IPCONFIG /ALL to determine the lease times where I am just using my router to tell me information.

What does this mean? Well, it means if I am not actively connected to the ISP when that lease expires, and a new user on their system connects their internet and is leased out an IP address, they can be leased the IP address that I had. If they don't before I reconnect, the DHCP server will oftentimes give back the IP address even though it's no longer leased to me.

Now, I've used mine as an example. In reality, my router gets a reserved IP (works like a static IP address but their DHCP server assigns it only to me and never anyone else and I don't have to set up the static assignment - it's automatic). It's still leased as per 24-hours because that is their DHCP lease time system wide.

Most people do not have a static or reserved IP address. To keep yours, use a router (which most people do) to hold onto the IP as if it's on and connected to the ISP, the lease will just renew the same IP address you're already connected to.

What if you don't use a router? If you don't use a router, then you will want to keep your computer turned on and connected to your Internet all the time. If you don't want your computer on 24-hours a day (including hibernation as it can lose its IP address if it's sleeping when the lease expires) then buy a cheap router. Even if you don't really need one, it can keep your connection alive with the use of very little energy and they're not expensive to buy.

If you just want your IP address on your local network over the router to never change, then you can enter your router setup and just reserve the IP address for your network adapter. You wouldn't set it statically in Windows or other OS - you just set up the router properly. ;)
ShockDiamond

Return to How-To