Freebuild: protecting creations from "grifters"

Freebuild: protecting creations from "grifters"

Postby DavidinCT » 23 Jul 2014, 04:32

HI !

I have a little old server setup. On this server I am running a Freebuild and lava server. Truth be told, I really set this up because I was sick of servers going down after spending weeks or months building up levels or creating a cool bulding just to see the servers go down for good.

So, now I am a SuperOP on my server, my biggest problem that I am having is with guests coming in and wrecking other peoples creations, including my own. Here is the questions I have.

1. Can I set the "freebuild" map to only allow people with the same "rank" to be able to break other's blocks? What I mean is... for example, a guests block could be broken by anyone but, a Mod can only be broken by another Mod, or in my case a SuperOP's blocks can only be broken by a SuperOP.

This would promote users on my server to play Lava to build up their levels protect their creations.

2. If 1 can not be done, Is it possible to track who broke a block ? Where I could go in a mode to see who created or removed a block by user name ? This would allow me to /undo the user and/or ban the person.

I want to run this server for fun.... but, over the last few weeks this has made it more like babysitting and it's getting old. I am very strict on this, you break a block, you get banned but, tracking these people down is a pain.

If you want to check out my server, do a search in WOM for DavidinCT I just created a new portal today and the big houses and office building in freebuild are my creations...(in the office building, check the basement for a hidden room :) )
DavidinCT

Re: Freebuild: protecting creations from "grifters"

Postby Leeizazombie » 23 Jul 2014, 12:36

Hello David.

You can restrict your maps to be accessible to a certain rank and above, so if I wanted my map "staffroom" to only be accessible to Operators, I'd use the following command:
Code: Select all
/pervisit operator

Alternatively if I want them to be able to visit but unable to edit ANY block in the map, use the following command:
Code: Select all
/perbuild operator

This will make sure that only players with the rank of operator or higher can build in the map.

If that isn't what you are looking for, you can set up zones, for example if a player has finished building their house, you can protect the house from being griefed, but still editable by the player using Zones.

Syntax: /zone add (player/group)

So let's say I joined your server and made a house, then you can just use /zone add LeeIzaZombie, then select the corners of the house and it'll be protected.

Yes it is possible to check each block placed and see who placed it, just use /b or /blockinfo and click the block, it should show who broke/placed the block and what time they did.

If you want to immediately ban the players, then the best solution would be /xban (player), because this command will not only ban they players name and IP address, but it will undo all of their work. (Supports offline players, just enter their full name)

Hope I helped!
Owner of:
LeeIzaZombie Freebuild and Lava Survival V2 (Shut Down and updated)
LeeIzaZombie Survival (Comming back soon)

IRC: irc.geekshed.net, #leeizazombie, #mcclassichosting
Leeizazombie

Postby DavidinCT » 23 Jul 2014, 15:35

All I can say is WOW and thanks !

I think of all the time I wasted trying to track down users by manually looking over the logs, undoing users one by one (redoing if it was not the one I was looking for), if I only knew that /b command....dam, very freaking cool. I broke a block and tried it, as well as a created building block, really epic and is a MAJOR help here.

I can add my creations to a Zone, this should protect my creations. This will take the worry out of managing my server !

You really did help and will save me a ton of time, Thanks again for the info !!!!

Last question on this, as I don't think you gave a clear answer or I didn't ask it clearly.

Could a freebuild map level can be set per user rank ? So, if a user creates something as a "builder", no one under his/her level can break a block. Anyone can build but, they can only break others blocks if they are at the same "rank" or higher.

I'm not looking to set a whole map as one type of user, I am only looking for each persons creations that can be only broken by the same rank or higher. This would promote people to play lava, so they build up their levels and after they build up, the guests could not damage their creations. I do want to allow everyone to create tho

This would almost totally solve the problem.

Thanks again !
DavidinCT

Postby Leeizazombie » 23 Jul 2014, 20:46

Hey, you're welcome.

Unfortunately there is no such system so far, you could definitely make it a suggestion as an optional setting for freebuild, but for now you would have to manually zone them.

PS: In Lava Survival you can apply a similar setting:

Owner of:

Leeizazombie

Postby DavidinCT » 24 Jul 2014, 00:38

Cool, good to know. Thanks again ! If you were local I would buy you a beer !
DavidinCT

Postby Leeizazombie » 24 Jul 2014, 01:39

As an Irish lad, you'd be my best friend then! ;) But seriously I don't drink. :lol:
Owner of:

Leeizazombie

Return to Help